Courtesy of Ariel (who I have the biggest blog crush on).
1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player tags 5 people and posts their name, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
What was I doing 10 years ago?
(Best question in this meme.)
Ten years ago I was 23. I was doing my first year of Professional Writing and Editing at RMIT. I bought my first car, and my best friend Zoe took me out for driving lessons, and I have very very warm lovely memories of this time. Despite the fact that I also had my first (and only) serious car accident, in which my little car was written off. I was living in a fractured though well-meaning sharehouse in Northcote, the most gorgeous house, right opposite Northcote station. (I loved the sound of the train but you could hear the boomgates from my bedroom which was occasionally maddening.) I was scared of my housemate, and was so finished with sharehousing after having a hell year of it the year before. I fell madly in love with a boy from my editing class and I broke up with my boyfriend, Tom. Me and Editing Boy* had been together only a matter of weeks, maybe a month, when we moved into a Victorian flat over an architects' office in Carpenter Street Brighton, with soaring ceilings and a beautiful room with lattice all around the windows, a train line across the road and no boomgates. Ten years ago I had never heard of Harry Potter. I dropped out of my novel class because I knew I would never be able to write a novel. It's a shame I did because my teacher was Susan Johnson, who is an incredible writer and now I feel like it was a bit of a missed opportunity. I relearned how to ride a bike that year and bought my first ever brand new bicycle. I was a smoker (a fact that bewilders me now). I was a cat owner. I had laser surgery after a bad pap smear. I'd never been overseas and was afraid I would never go. I was living on Austudy and the supplement loan - man, I regret that supplement loan now.
Five snacks I enjoy in a perfect, non weight-gaining world:
1. Hot fudge sundae
2. Bacon sandwiches
3. Chocolate Eugenies
5. Loukamades (if you don't know, little deepfried semolina donuts soaked in honey syrup)
6. Yogurt with honey and walnuts
7. Dip (say feta and carrot with cumin) with rice crackers
8. Vegemite, ricotta, avocado or tomato on sourdough toast (walnut and rye is my new favourite)
9. Cheese and sultanas all smooshed up together with crackers
10. Some kind of homemade oaty honey slice (oh my god, made this while I was doing this meme and the finished product is delicious)
Five things I would do if I were a billionaire:
2. Buy a big double storey terrace house in North Fitzroy and a flat in North Queensland (and keep this house too, but renovate it).
3. Write whatever I want. Study forever.
4. Have a personal chef, a cleaner and a regular babysitter. And a personal shopper for Christmas presents.
5. Get laser surgery on my eyes.
Five jobs that I have had:
1. Child carer
2. Freelance editor
3. Sunglass seller
5. Um...oh yeah. Writer. (Was genuinely stumped for a moment.)
Three of my habits:
2. Singing in the car.
3. Vaguing out.
Five places I have lived:
1. Battery Point
2. Adelaide (city)
3. Northcote, Melbourne
4. North Fitzroy, Melbourne
5. Mitcham, Melbourne
Five people I want to get to know better: (A nice way of saying TAG!)
Dani @ Kitchen Playground
Zoe @ When Fads Attack
Zoe @ Rivet Kitty
Em @ Dance of Small Things
(actually i feel like I know you all quite well, but I am interested anyway).
*Ten years later Editing Boy is pulling a dead mouse out of our lounge room wall, while our oldest daughter makes a person out of saucepans in the kitchen and our youngest daughter runs around in a grass skirt and fairy wings singing 'Bee Buzzy Bee'.