Friday, February 05, 2010

A Ladder of Books

Suddenly I have a lot of books to read. Good thing I have a new bookshelf. Martin found this ladder on the hard rubbish and did it up for me for my birthday. It sits next to my bed, in arm's reach, I don't even have to sit up.
The books are sort of sorted. The top pile are books I am planning to read for pleasure. This is the pile I will go to if we have a weekend away or I have a day to kick my heels and read. I am reading Home at the moment. I am actually really enjoying taking it slow, I seem to have turned into the kind of person who reads more than one book at a time. In case you can't read the titles there's: Bloodflower (which I wrote a reader's report on an early draft of), Noah's Compass (which I am saving up for special), The Children's Book (which I am a bit scared of, it's so long!), Olive Kitteridge, and Home.
The next pile are some of the books I will be teaching this semester. I have already read Butterfly by Sonya Hartnett (she's SUCH an impressive author) and The Tall Man, which I wholeheartedly recommend - beautifully written, compulsive reading, and I felt like a better human being for reading it. The other books on the pile are The Lost Dog, Reunion (which I am reading now) and New Australian Stories.
This next pile is some of the best bit of my job. The below are 'for work': Saving Franscesca and The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta, Liar by Justine Larbalestier and Riding the Black Cockatoo by John Danalis. I am doing an 'in conversation with Melina Marchetta in March, mostly discussing The Piper's Son, which is a follow on from (but not sequel to) Saving Franscesca. Isn't the cover beautiful?
The following is a critical text by Susan Stewart about objects: On Longing: Narratives of the Miniature, the Gigantic, the Souvenir and the Collection. I am fascinating by collecting, and it forms the basis of a work in progress (which mostly exists in my head) about a miniature girl. I have also often thought that I would quite like to explore why children are so fascinated with dinosaurs (and why adults encourage and build on this fascination). I dip in and out of this.
And I don't have to read the books on the bottom shelf, since I wrote them all. But perhaps you, dear reader, would like to put this one in your reading pile?
Where do you keep your books to read? What's on your pile?