Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Walk-walk

Yesterday when Una thought no one was looking (Martin and I were both watching from the dining table) she launched off into the open space of the lounge room, taking about 10 steps. Then she stood up in the middle of the room and walked back again. She's a little over 20 months. For a few weeks she's been taking one step between me and Martin, but once she'd done it a few times she lost interest. Then she discovered knee-walking, frankly a ridiculous looking progression, I am sure she got to her feet after all the babies in the Jungle Room at creche laughed her down. But the difference betyween the few steps she was taking and what she's doing now is she's finally found her centre of gravity, she's not just, as Woody would say, falling with style.

Actually, I think she's finally decided to join the world. For the last few weeks she's been asking to 'hop out' of the pusher when we've been out (um, no Una, you cannot knee-walk down the street, I'm just a big bundle of unfun that way). On Sunday she had her first 'walk-walk' (as she calls it) down the street, holding my hands and was devestated when it was all over. I think she finally gets what the good of it is. She didn't need to learn, she needed to be persuaded.

3 comments:

  1. Yay Una .. now you can chase your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:41 PM

    Go Una! excellent news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:21 PM

    You know what? I was actually planning to email you and ask if Una was walking! I've been curious lately. Alex and Lukas started walking (seriously) a couple of weeks ago too!
    Yay for novice walkers!!!

    love Jacq

    ReplyDelete