Friday, January 05, 2007

Spirited Away

Us that is, on the Spirit of Tasmania, which is a big boat that will take us for a two week jaunt to visit family and do some more camping (eek). I am taking the following books:
*Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier (which I am letting myself read as a reward for finishing Drift - I was a bit scared of it because the blurb sounded like there were some similarities in theme to the Undine books and I wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertantly nick anything)
*The Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, which I am very excited about because I loved Housekeeping.
*The Poetics of Childhood, in preparation for thesis writing this year.
*The Sweet Herafter, which was a stunning film and is an incredibly absorbing and fascinating book, a much deeper exploration of the characters than the film medium allows for, though the movie has strengths over the book too because of its medium - such as a strong sense of the power of the landscape, and it has to be one of the most successful book-film adaptations that I know of.

By the way Martin has been updating Lightning Bug, adding some exciting new features, including some lesson plans and a bookstore powered by Amazon, both so he can recommend appropriate books and hopefully to help fund the site (which so far has just been a side project), so he can continue to develop it.

See you all in Tassie (where I will probably continue to post, albeit infrequently).

No comments:

Post a Comment