Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Introducing some new links

I've added some new links in the sidebar.

First of all, Chad Beckerman's website and his blog. Chad designed Undine and Breathe in the US. His website is probably the most beautiful one I've ever seen. I look forward to keeping up with his blog news and seeing more of his work. Last time I posted about him a few girl readers happened to observe that he's not bad looking. I think if New York was a twenty something man it would look like Chad. His work at least is utterly dreamy.

Anyway, while I was fiddling about in there, I also added the Guardian Book Blog, thinking if it was right there on my sidebar I'd remember to look at it sometimes. I wish the Age had a book blog. Especially one that devoted some screen time to kids books. I don't know if anyone else tried to read the CBC shortlist in the Saturday Age. With a magnifying glass. My god, could the print GET any smaller?

And finally I thought I would challenge my own cultural anxieties with one more link: Print is Dead (eek!). But no, really...it's very interesting. I am starting to think more about ebooks, they're in my contract of course, and so far I've signed the ebooks happily over to the publishers, believing that as technology advances the (at least initial) publishing process will more or less stay the same and they'll either change their production methods or outsource it (in the same way that publishers don't actually print their own books, they send them to the printer). But how are they going to develop an electronic book that is actually pleasurable to read? On Star Trek they read them on their little Pads, which are really just rather dated looking PDAs. Martin has a PDA and there's no flippin' way I am reading anything longer than a six word novel on that.

Oh well (see how I wrap it all up nicely now?), if anyone can make a digital book beautiful, Chad Beckerman can.

3 comments:

  1. Thank Penni!
    P.s. I just got Drift in the mail. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I also saw - well, Mish spotted first - it in the window display at the very schmick and tasteful new bookshop in Bangalow ... proud me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:19 AM

    RE CBCA in the Age. Is this a problem of the Age or the CBC? Why doesn't the shortlist register more strongly with the mainstream press? Did you hear it on the ABC? Read it in the Hun? Anywhere?

    Cheers,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete